Wednesday 23 September 2015

Seasons Greetings

Hello Spring!

2015 has been a pretty momentous year. My third child Evangeline (a girl!) was born December 30 of last year. We moved house 2 weeks after the birth (crazy, I know) and my eldest boy Nate started school in the new suburb.
So, almost 9 months later and I feel like I'm just coming up for air, looking around and saying 'Ah, so is this what my new life looks like... Actually, it's not bad!'
I am so, so happy to see the cherry blossom trees blooming everywhere, signalling that we've made it through one of the coldest and bitterest Melbourne Winters ever.

Scratching around for some 'Springy' poetry, I found myself drawn instead to an Autumnal one. It's  'At Mornington' by Gwen Harwood, one my all-time favourite Aussie poets. Here's a taste:

This morning I saw in your garden
fine pumpkins grown on a trellis
so it seemed that the vines were rising
to flourish the fruits of the earth
above their humble station
in airy defiance of nature
- a parable of myself,
a skinful of elements climbing
from earth to the fastness of light;
now come to that time of life
when our bones begin to wear us,
to settle our flesh in final shape
as the drying face of land
rose out of earth's seamless waters.

See the clip for a complete rendition of 'At Mornington':


I wonder what you thought of it?
My hubby would probably call it a sad poem, but I prefer to think of it as nostalgic, reflective and cathartic. It's about memory, friendship, mortality. What more could you want in a poem?
May this Spring provide more than enough to refresh you, in whatever season of life you find yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment